Hey everyone. I decided to start up this blog because I just can’t seem to stop droning on and on to all the people in my life about what it’s like to have Asperger’s. So I thought instead of bugging all the people in my life and boring them to death, I’d start up a blog instead.
I’m the mother of 2 sons with Asperger’s. I use the term Asperger’s even though nowadays it no longer exists as a separate “diagnosis”. But I still prefer this term because, well, personally:
- I feel it more clearly designates a certain group of people with a certain, specific set of characteristics more accurately than the broader name of “autistic”, which includes a much wider range and a much greater variety of traits, and
- I find it’s clearer to understand than the more general term “on the spectrum”, which I also feel is too broad as there are so many different ways to be “on the spectrum”
Unsurprisingly I also have Asperger’s or, as people like to say these days, I’m also “on the spectrum”. Although I believe I have a milder and therefore less noticeable version of this particular “way of being” in the world.
So I would probably be someone that most people would never ever guess was an “aspie”. At the most people would probably say about me: She’s a bit weird and hard to understand, but she’s fairly normal, not that different from everyone else.
I actually only recently realized that my younger son probably has Asperger’s or, as it’s known technically, Autism Spectrum Disorder or ASD as well. Until a short while ago, we thought he really “only” suffered from anxiety and extreme shyness. Since unlike my oldest son and me he doesn’t have attention deficit, we also just considered him fairly “normal” haha.
Perhaps in future posts I will explain how we came around to discovering that my youngest also has ASD.
But as I just mentioned, both my oldest and I also have attention deficit. It’s so much a part of us that we just assume most of the time that ALL aspies will also display all the symptoms of attention deficit and of course, that is not the case. In fact, I read somewhere that only around 70% of aspies will also suffer from attention deficit or ADHD, which leaves a full 30% without the traits of ADHD and therefore, it’s easy to miss this 30%, or to think that these aspies without ADHD are perfectly “normal” and not aspies at all!
Which is what happened in the case of my youngest son.
So without any further ado, I’ll leave you here with this blog and its latest posts. Read on for more articles and information.
Or check out the blog, where I occasionally post new entries.
And of course, don’t forget to Subscribe to Follow this blog!